City Council Meetings
Regular City Council meetings take place the 1st and 3rd Wednesday of every month at 6 pm. City Council meetings take place at City Hall Council Chamber located at 736 F Street in Arcata.
Special meetings are held as deemed necessary. All meetings, except closed sessions, are open and public pursuant to the Ralph M. Brown Act.
City Council Members
- Sofia Pereira, Mayor
- Brett Watson, Vice-Mayor
- Susan Ornelas, Council Member
- Paul Pitino, Council Member
- Michael Winkler, Council Member
Meetings & Agendas
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
View Agendas and Minutes
Watch Meetings Live or watch On Demand and view agendas complete with staff reports and other materials
The City Council follows Rosenberg’s Rules of Order for parliamentary procedure. Because the formal process for conducting City Council proceedings is not always familiar to the general public, the City Council developed A Public Speaker's Guide to Addressing the City Council (PDF).
Role of City Council Members
The Arcata City Council is composed of 5 members elected at large by the citizens of Arcata to be the legislative policy-making branch of city government. The Council directs the course of local government through its power to adopt ordinances, levy taxes, award contracts, and appoint certain city officers, commissions, and committees.
Council members earn a monthly salary (Elected Officials Salary Schedule (PDF)) and also receive monthly benefits for medical, dental and vision insurance. Council members are also eligible to participate in the Public Employees' Retirement System, CalPERS.
City Council members serve as the City’s representative to the following county or inter-jurisdictional agencies:
- Arcata Chamber of Commerce
- Arcata Downtown Business Community-Arcata Main Street
- Arcata House Partnership
- Arcata/Camoapa Sister City Committee
- Friends of the Arcata Marsh
- HSU/City Liaisons
- Humboldt Bay Municipal Water District, Water Quality Task Force
- Humboldt Bay Working Waterfront Opportunities Committee
- Humboldt County Association of Governments
- Humboldt Transit Authority
- Humboldt Waste Management Authority
- Humboldt-Del Norte Hazardous Waste Materials Response Joint Powers Authority
- Indian Gaming Fund Committee
- League of California Cities, Redwood Empire Division, Business Meetings
- League of California Cities, Redwood Empire Division, Legislative Committee
- Redwood Coast Energy Authority
- Redwood Region Economic Development Commission
The City Council appoints the City Manager and City Attorney. The goals and policies set forth annually by the City Council (Goals and Priority Projects (PDF)) are carried out by the City Manager who administers the daily affairs of the City and supervises the department heads.
City Departments include:
- City Manager's Office
- Building & Engineering
- Community Development
- Environmental Services
- City Council Protocol Manual 2011 (PDF)
- Appendix A - List of City Plans (PDF)
- Appendix B - The Ralph M. Brown Act-Californias Sunshine Law (PDF)
- Appendix C - City Travel Policy (PDF)
- Appendix D - City Credit Card Policy (PDF)
- Appendix E - List of Council-Approved Proclamations (PDF)
- Appendix F - Arcata Code of Ethics (PDF)
- Appendix G - International City County Management Association (ICMA) Code of Ethics (PDF)
- Appendix H - Rosenberg's Rules of Order and Addendum (PDF)
- Appendix I - Typical and Routine Mayoral Functions (PDF)