Safer Alternatives to Hazardous Products
Humboldt Bay is closer than you think!
We can help protect our health and the environment, and prevent hazardous waste from entering our creek, sloughs and Humboldt Bay by using safer alternatives to hazardous products.
What is hazardous waste?
Hazardous waste is defined as trash that is toxic, flammable, corrosive, reactive, infectious, or radioactive, and can pose a health hazard.
Hazardous wastes threaten our livelihood
- Each home is estimated to contain up to eight gallons of hazardous material, which can threaten family health and safety. These include paints, automotive products, pesticides, and many cleaning products.
- Conventional disposal poses a threat to sanitation workers, who can be injured or poisoned by acids, fires, and explosions.
- Hazardous waste that reach out landfill can leach into soil and pollute water, threatening all living things.
- Substances poured into Arcata household drains and toilets go into the sewage treatment process, which is part of the Arcata Marsh and Wildlife Sanctuary.
- Substances poured onto soil or streets or into storm drains, are carried through Arcata's streams and on into Humboldt Bay. As little as one pint of solvent has killed fish in Arcata's Jolly Giant Creek.
Minimizing hazardous waste in the home
- Consider using safer alternatives.
- Read labels before purchasing. Look for the words "Caution", "Warning", and "Danger". Follow label directions.
- Be certain the product is appropriate for what you want
- Buy only what you need and will use up.
When handling hazardous waste, remember to...
- Keep containers upright, tightly closed, and with labels intact.
- Not mix substances or pour into other containers.
- Never burn or reuse empty containers.
- Always keep out of reach of children, pets, and wildlife.
|Ammonia products||corrosive, poisonous|
|Chlorine bleach||corrosive, poisonous|
|Drain opener||corrosive, poisonous|
|Floor and furniture polish||flammable, poisonous|
|Household batteris||corrosive, poisonous|
|Oven cleaner||corrosive, poisonous|
|Rug & upholstery cleaner||flammable|
|Spot remover cleaning fluid||flammable|
|Toilet bowl cleaner||corrosive, poisonous|
|poisonous||None - ride a bike instead|
|Car batteries||corrosive||None - ride a bike instead|
|Diesel fuel||flammable||Switch to bio-diesel|
|Gasoline||flammable||None - ride a bike instead|
|Transmission & brake fluid||flammable||None - ride a bike instead|
|Used oil||flammable||None - ride a bike instead|
|Oil-based paint varnishes & adhesives||flammable|
|Solvents strippers||flammable, poisonous|
|Pool & hot tub additives||corrosive, poisonous|
All purpose cleaners
|Copper & brass cleaner|